Two People In Critical Condition After Consuming Toxic Tea

toxic tea

After consuming toxic tea two people were admitted to the hospital in critical condition

Tea is one of the healthiest drinks that you can consume. Many people drink tea on a regular basis in order to treat their diseases. Apparently, tea can actually make you ill. This is the case for two people in San Francisco.

After consuming toxic tea both of them were admitted to the hospital in critical condition. San Francisco Department of Public Health mentioned that these people consumed the same herbal tea that was purchased from a seller in Grant Avenue in Chinatown.

The people that are in critical condition drank this toxic tea in February and March. A woman in her 50s and a man in his 30s were the ones that became ill soon after drinking this herbal tea. The symptoms started to show after less than an hour.

Their symptoms consisted in irregular heartbeats and severe weakness. Due to these severe symptoms, both of them were admitted to the hospital. The leaves for the tea were sold by Sun Wing Wo Trading Co.

What did the Toxic Tea Contain?

After these people were admitted to the hospital, tests were run on the toxic tea. It was discovered that the poison was aconite. This plant-based poison is dangerous because it affects the heart. This substance can be deadly, especially when it is consumed in large quantities.

Normally, the aconite is used in Asian herbal medicine. This can treat many medical conditions. The problem is that it was not processed properly. When this happens the plant is poisonous. There is not cure for aconite contamination. This is why it is so dangerous.

What is going to happen to the toxic tea?

The health department in San Francisco decided to withdraw the products that were consumed by these victims. They also want the shop to help them find the source of the contamination. The health department wants to avoid any other contaminations caused by the toxic tea.

“Anyone who has purchased tea from this location should not consume it and should throw it away immediately,” said Dr. Tomás Aragón, health Officer for the City & County of San Francisco.

Despite the fact that some people might not experience the symptoms of the contamination immediately, they have to go to the hospital, if they start appearing. People are asked to stop consuming this tea, even if they don’t experience any symptoms.

Image source: Pexels

 

The following two tabs change content below.
Karen Jackson has always been passionate about technology. All the way through high-school she immersed herself in computers and web-design. Her ambitious nature helped her become a pro in Adobe Photoshop only by watching online videos and working with the program herself. This is also the program that she mostly uses in the creation of websites at her work-place. Technological innovation and gadgets that push the boundaries of what we are comfortable with have always fascinated her, so expect to see some weird gadget reviews coming from her.